Thursday, August 12, 2010

Where are we from?

Image via Wikipedia
Map of campaigns in the Revolutionary War
Yesterday I read someone's Footnote.com spotlight on their Revolutionary ancestor.  I've tried to go back and find the actual  post so I can put a link to it but I can't remember how I stumbled on it in the first place.   So I will just have to tell you about it.  If  I ever do find the post again I will link it to this blog.
A lady had just found out that her ancestor had fought in the Revolutionary War.  She was very excited to find him in the Revolutionary War Service Records.  She had always been told that side of the family was from Germany but since she found out he was in the Revolution she now realizes he's not from Germany because he is from NJ and has been from there the whole time.

I wish I could be more like her when it comes to my own families research.  I too have an ancestor who fought in the Revolutionary War.  That is where our similarities end.  My ancestors family is from somewhere.  We were told Holland and that we are Dutch.  Maybe that is right?  We believe we have found a good match as to who his parents are and we know who his siblings are.  We have done everything imaginable to find where they are from including three different Genealogy DNA tests by two different companies.  We think we are are connected to another family with the same name that lived somewhat close by but can't find any documents to link our families together and no one from their family has taken a DNA test.   Where are we from?  We may never find out.  I wish I could be like the lady who wrote her spotlight on footnote.com. and think we are from NY and have been from there the whole time.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: